Friday, November 11, 2011

(dis) Abilities and the Gospel

As many of you know who have read my blog for long, know that I have 3 little guys with Autism. I am not sure what is worse, when we first found out about the diagnosis or now, it just seems that the challenges change instead of get easier! But one thing that was VERY hard and still is, is taking your child to church!

My boys are so much better than they have been sitting for an hour at a time and not disrupting EVERYONE at church, to only a few on certain Sundays'. But its hard to leave them with their Primary (Sunday School) teachers when they don't know ANYTHING about your autism diagnosis and has never had any experience with children with Autism.

A friend of mine has written a book to help those caring for our loved ones a guide to help them better serve! Although some may not take their children to church or attend, but this book I found is not only aimed for church settings, but anyone who is put in charge of those with autism, whether it is a gathering of friends to a school teacher. So I encourage you all to find this book and check it out! 

Danyelle has a son with Autism and has also help found Friends of Giant Steps which coincides with Giant Steps Autism Preschool, which her son and all of mine have attended! I believe she knows her stuff!

Here is her blog:
Danyelle Ferguson Blog
And where to buy the book:
Where to buy

"Each day, parents and Church leaders struggle to teach individuals with special needs. Using real-life stories and a touch of humor, this inspiring book guides you to teach effectively, overcome communication barriers, and build strong relationships with people of all ages with disabilities. Discover each person’s ability to learn and grow as you help them feel like a valuable part of your life."

4 comments:

ccorey said...

I don't know how you do it, Crystal. I read about your kids on here all the time and I think you do an amazing job. We are trying to figure out how to communicate with my 2 year old. We just found out she has auditory neuropathy and only hears static when we talk to her. Hard to learn to talk when you don't hear the words. People don't know how to interact with her and it's pretty frustrating. I can only imagine how frustrating it is with three kids that people don't know how to interact with.

Amy said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are a wonderful mother. I think there are some people we know that are good mom's because they have easy kids but there is a huge difference between them and you, because you have more struggles and you are still so amazing.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our book Crystal! I'm so glad we met through Giant Steps and have stayed friends since. You and your family are awesome! Never forget that. =)

Susan said...

Any way to have a little one-on-one time with the Primary teachers? I know I would willingly do that to learn more about how to make life less stressful for both the boys and you, as well as the teacher. That looks like a great book, and maybe loaning a copy to the Primary teachers would help?