Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Busy

Okay I THINK I have bitten more off than I can chew!! LOL I appreciate everyone's faith in me to get my to do list done but oh am I feeling it!!!


I have on my list some finished quilts, and I want to use my NEW long arm quilting machine, but I am SCARED to death to use it! So yesterday I started finding tutorials and videos on how to load the frame (It's complicated). I found a few that I liked and tried some. Although I have by pinwheel quilt ready to go, that is a rather large quilt to "practice" on. Well there is NO small quilt on my list to work on, so I had to add another one. I grabbed some fabric from my stash and threw something together in a few hours. Then after the kiddos went to bed I went to work. 5 LONG HOURS later....
I don't have a lot of room to maneuver the sewing machine length wise and so I learned my limits and realized how important tension is! Also with my frame I got a Juki....no idea what kind but you know with a new machine you have to learn how to use it and learn it's tastes!

 I have worked with several different sewing machines, and I really think they all have different personalities! They do! Some are more sensitive to certain things and like to be coddled more while others are more like work horses and just like to be oiled more. I would name my sewing machine, but Travis would think I am weird...

Now I just need to bind the quilt and I hope to get it done today and have it all ready for tomorrow. I decided that I will give this to Brandon's teacher. They had a new baby almost a week ago and I was going to make them a receiving blanket, but I decided they will get this instead. I wanted to make sure it "looked" okay first and I think it looks okay. I hope it does soften up more after it is washed though.

I think one reason why I am so stressed is because my Mother day projects aren't coming together as fast as I planned. I think I might just postpone the project and turn them into Christmas presents. I think I might do that, because my mom is coming into town tomorrow and I wanted to have her project done by tomorrow morning and it's just not going to happen! Now I need to find something else soon.....Any suggestions?? (Cindy and Mom....close your eyes!)

3 comments:

Pat said...

Yes Crystal, I have a suggestion for Mother. A nice pair of pillow cases would be lovely, just out of a pretty quilting fabric. No frills, just a plain nice pillow case or two. I'am sure she would love that. Very simple, but pretty. Happy Quilting!

Monica B said...

I can't believe you just threw that quilt together in just a few hours... I am very impressed. Great job on your first time using the long arm machine!

Amanda Jean said...

oh, my goodness! i can't imagine the learning curve of a long arm machine. have fun with that! :)