Monday, November 15, 2010

Family History Monday

It seems like I have been slacking in my Family History Monday! I still have quite a few questions to get through and we are almost done with the year! So here are quite a few.....


What school activities and sports did you participate in?
During Middle School on up until High school I did Volleyball, Basketball, and Track. In track I threw the disced and the shot put. I really enjoyed it. I loved playing sports and competing!  Outside of school I participated in rodeos, ever since I was a little girl. I did barrel racing, pole bending, calf roping (very little of this), Daily Ribbon tie and goat tail tying. I really enjoyed doing this all and even though I don’t miss High school  I do miss doing sports.

Were you ever mentioned in a newspaper?
No, I wasn’t lucky enough to be. It would have been cool, but nope.

If you could have had any other profession what would it have been? Why wasn't it your first choice?
I would like to be a teacher. Although I am not 100% sure what I would like to teach. I go in and out of wanting to do that, I think I depends on my mood. But now a days teachers have so many rules and so much paper work!! It isn’t my first choice because I have ALWAYS wanted to be a stay at home mom first!
What is the one thing you most want people to remember about you?
I think the biggest thing is my personality. I hope people remember me as kind and happy. I really don’t want people to remember me for any of my faults. I am always so self conscious of them and so I would hate for people to remember the worst of me.
Me with Brandon and Nathan in October of 2004

What accomplishments were you the most proud of?
There isn’t just one thing, but rather if lived my life to the fullest and was the best mother than that would be it. I think that my boys are the best thing that I could have ever done. They make me proud all the time.
A current accomplishment I have is being featured for my quilt designs on the Moda Bake Shop. Seeing my work anywhere makes me happy. I hope that as I continue to get better at my quilting I can be published in quilt magazines, have my own pattern line, and maybe even fabric line!

Of all the things you learned from your parents, which do you feel was the most valuable?
I think the biggest is the example of being a good person. My mom was the one that took us to church, with 5 small kids by herself. She se the example of how important it was and showed us how much she cared for us and wanting us to have knowledge of our Heavenly Father.
My father always taught us to be good person. Followed the rules, didn't lie, cheat, steal. He wanted us to be good people and told us so and set that example for us. He always taught us the importance of working hard.
My Mom and Me July 2009
My Dad and Me July 2009

Describe a typical family dinner. Did you all eat together as  a family? Who did the cooking? What wre your favorite foods?
We would always sit down at the table for evening meals, well most nights. My mom worked evenings so I am not sure what we did on those nights, but I do have memories of us eating as a family. As we got older and had other things at we had to do, our sit down dinners weren’t as often, and so we would just grab what was on the stove and eat wherever, but I do remember eating at the table a lot. As a kid we ate roast a lot. To this day I don’t like roast much because we would ALWAYS eat it! As we got older it was mostly the girls that made dinner, or Mom. Dad never made dinner and I don’t remember too often that my brothers ever made dinner. I think the person who made dinner most was my Mom. I don’t remember having any favorite foods, but I do know that I don’t like steak or roasts much.

What was it like when you were proposed to? Where and when did it happen? How did it feel?
When Travis and I were dateing, we didn’t date for even a month before he asked me if he needed to ask my Father to have my hand in marriage. I was shocked but I concider that as the first proposal. I told him he didn’t need to but it was up to him. So ever since then (for maybe 2 weeks) I expected him to propose. We drove to Colorado from Idaho for Thanksgiving and we kept stopping, and I KNEW that he was going to propose then. Like we stopped and looked at a beautiful lake on the way, and he got his camera and I thought that it would be then, but nope. Then finally the day before Thanksgiving he asks me to go for a walk. We were outside and had our coats and then said he forgot something and ran back in. I knew that he was finally going to propose to me. We walked to a nearby park and we sat on a bench swing and he pulled out the ring and asked me to marry him. The first thought I had was, “oh the ring is ugly”. I know very classy on my part, but it just caught me by surprise. It didn’t look like the typical engagement rings I have seen. I did say yes, and we walked home together and finished making pies for Thanksgiving.
Travis never did ask my Dad for permission, he didn’t think he would have said yes. My Dad was not very happy that I got married right away out of high school and didn’t like me dating period. So it took a few years for my Dad to open up to Travis, but now he loves him. Travis also debated on asking me in front of my whole family but  after meeting my immediate family for the first time, he thought he wanted it to just be between us. He proposed on Wednesday November 21st, 2001. We were then married on Feburary 16, 2002  for all time and eternity in the Denver Colorado Temple.
Thanksgiving 2001 (The after he proposed)
One of our Engagement pictures December 2001

Where and when did you get married?
We were married on Feburary 16, 2002 for all time and eternity in the Denver Colorado Temple. So we were married in Denver Colorado. We had a reception that day in Greeley, Colorado. The next weekend we had another reception in Ely, Nevada (where Travis grew up) and then the following weekend in Rigby, Idaho.
Our Wedding Day- February 16, 2002-Denver, Colorado
Our reception in Greeley, Colorado February 16, 2002

When and how did you meet your spouse? What did you do on dates?
I met Travis in July of 2001 in Rexburg Idaho. I went there for college right after I graduated from High school. Travis was in my student ward. I saw him for the first time for a group prayer. I remember that he led the music in Sacrament on Sundays. I didn’t think any of him at first, except that he was bald for a young age. I liked his roommate and so I became friends with Travis to get closer to his roommate. It wasn’t until October 2001 when we went down to SLC for General Conference (with 3 other friends) that I began to look at him differently. We were still pretty good friends and so I asked him to go for a walk with me and it just took off from there. Our dates consisted of going for walks every night, in the local park and then up to campus. We spent several hours together every day until he proposed to me. He realized that he wanted to marry me at a Broncos/Raiders football game on a Monday night.  I knew that I wanted to marry him when I went to the Idaho Falls Temple to do baptisms for the dead and realized that I wanted him there with me all the time. Travis never spent any money on me until after we were engaged!
Travis, Jana, Aaron, Me
A few people we would hang out with a lot

3 comments:

Lopez Life said...

You two looked soooooo young!!! Especially Travis!!! Family history Monday is a GREAT IDEA! Where do you get your questions from?

Lori said...

I love reading what you remember...it is so neat. Mom

Amy said...

This is so much fun, and Jenni is right, you look so young, adorable! You would make an amazing teacher you are the most paitent person I know, hands down. And as far as how I remember you, you are so kind and sweet, and happy, and loving. No worries there. Love this post!