Thursday, May 5, 2011

Simple Baby Girl Quilts

I had a lot of little projects that I wanted to finish before I left for Colorado next week. Once again no time management skills!! I had a few little baby quilts that I needed to make for some new mothers in our ward (church members in our area).
I made two little simple quilts. I had two pieces of flannel a yard each, but batting in the middle and used another flannel piece for the back, quilted the top and then bound it with some flannel bias. 
They both ended up being about 35"x43". A nice size for a little baby. 

Then we were invited to go to a birthday party for one of Kimball's friends. Unfortunately we were going to already be in Colorado, so I told her we would drop off something special for her before we left. I asked her Mom what she liked and was thrilled when she said princesses. 

I had this piece of Disney Princess fabric my Mom gave me ages ago and had no idea what to use for it. It was only a yard, so not really enough to make little blocks with, so I used it for another little quilt! 
I had some pink fleece that I used for the back and decided to use batting in the middle. Even though it's small it is a very warm quilt. 
You can't see very well but the middle I free handed some crowns and stitched them in on the sewing machine. It was too thick or the fleece didn't want to work right so I couldn't do my normal stippling that I normally do for it. So I wanted to just make a cool design but was stumped.....contrary to what people say I am NOT that creative! I just copy everyone else ideas!!
Here is the back of the quilt and you can better see the design. When we dropped off the quilt (and a princess cup) she said that the crowns were castles, which is fine with me. I don't mind what she ends up thinking they are, I just wanted her to like it and I believe she does! 

I ended up using this to pin these quilts. Taylor's basting spray. I found this at Wal-Mart. I wasn't too impressed with it before with a large quilt that I had made, but it worked WONDERFULLY on the flannel! I was amazed at how well it stuck and stayed there! Then if I needed to smooth out an area better, I could lift and pull and it would stick yet again! 

I think I need to give it another try with a smaller quilt. Maybe not use it for such a large quilt, but a smaller quilt might work more. But definitely if you are trying to baste a flannel quilt, this baby is worth it!! I think it was about $5 for this bottle.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

How fun!!! I need to learn how to do blankets!!!