Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Family Picnic Quilt Progress

So most know of my different I Spy Swaps that I have hosted, well with those and other swaps that I have participate in, I decided that I needed to make an I Spy quilt. So I came up with a 9-patch block idea.
I took my 4" squares and sorted them by color and then sewed them into a 4 block set. Then took them and made a 9-patch with 2 of the different colored 4 block set.
When I asked Trav if he could see the pattern in the blocks, he said no,but then I pointed them out and then he got it.
Some blocks are more noticeable, but I am hoping that it will be fine.
Each block measures 21"x21"
Here is a stack of 30 blocks! I am planning on only using 25 blocks for the quilt, and I decided to use it as a picnic quilt! Something we can take with us all over to parks, camping, etc. 
So after the quilt is all put together, it should be approximately 103"x103". I think that will be big enough for a family of 5! 
With the left over blocks I am going to make either a twin or full size quilt with them. My Mom and Sister in Law are doing craft shows this year and has asked me if I want to sell any quilts there, so I am in the process of making some quilts. So I will be making another quilt like this for the craft show! Now the tricky thing, what do you sell quilts for? After you calculate what it cost for the materials, how much do you charge for the labor and then just in general? Any suggestions?

2 comments:

ccorey said...

I have been trying to figure this out as well. I usually just make crib size quilts with a disappearing 9 patch (from Obsessively Stitching). It ends up with sashing between each block. I made a bunch for my niece and nephews. My mom showed them off at her school and everyone was saying that they could see them selling for $100 - $150. They're just straight line quilting, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcorey77/6663725611/in/photostream

AddieNCE said...

It's hard to calculate what to charge for the labor. As fabric is way more expensive in Germany that it is in the US, I mostly end up charging about 20 to 50 Euros ( about 26 to 65$) for the hours I have spent on cutting and sewing. But I guess things are a bit different in the US since people know way more about how long it takes to sew a quilt (don't they?) In Germany, you can barely find people who really reward "handmade" stuff...
150$ for a crib size quilt seems like a real nice price to me - especially since I know that your quilts always look amazingly good.